Friday 26 July 2013

Day 8: Savuti Rest Camp


I was hoping to see hyenas at night where they are common visitors in the camps at Savuti.  But we didn’t see any last night. The day started with an early morning drive to the Savuti marsh.  Early morning in general is good for game viewing as it’s the time when the nocturnal animals, esp. the predators, are still active before they retreat to the shade during the day. We planned to take the breakfast afterwards and that turned out to be a good decision.

We came across a leopard, one of the most elusive species, just outside the camp grounds. It was still on a hunting mode. We couldn’t see any kill as the leopard vanished into the bush later. We drove towards the marsh. It was initially disappointing. I was expecting to see herds of antelopes in the marsh as the early morning hours are not hot. And also some cats following them. But we didn’t see neither of them other than few antelopes. We drove across the marsh to look on the east side side. On the way we came across a big pool of water and probably more channels ahead. Since the track conditions are not known and since we are alone I was not sure of crossing it. I was about to turn back when I saw a tourist safari truck from the local lodges coming in the same direction. I waited to see how he is crossing and decided to follow him if he crosses without any problem.  He didn’t have any problems in crossing. Though he had a much better Land Rover when compared to our Hilux, I thought we should also be able to cross.
It was a good decision to follow them as they took us directly to a pride of lions with the lion and the lioness mating. We spend almost 45 minutes there, taking photos and watching them. Later on we drove further into the downstream locations of the marsh. Other than some antelopes and wildebeest we didn’t see of the Big 5. We decided to drive back to the camp and we got lost again. We did some quick breakfast in between. By the time we somehow reached the camp it was noon.

We took a break till 3 pm and decided to drive towards the main water hole, which is one of the hot spots for game viewing during the dry season, near to the camp. We had some luck as the water holes, there were 2-3 of them, were full of ellies taking mud bath. At one point there were ellies all around our car. We switched off the engine and watched them in their natural rhythm. Afterwards we drove towards the nearby pans where we came across ellies, zebras, giraffes and buffalos. We decided to check out on the marsh again. Other than the usual antelopes and wildebeests we didn’t see anything.
On the drive back I drove over a ground squirrel. I didn’t see it before or did I realise it when I drove over it as I was looking through my side window most of the time to search for game in the bush.  But the Lady saw it and gave a loud cry when I over run it. It was a painful thing when you realise that you took the life of another creature, though by accident. I wish I had been more careful.

We came back to the camp around 6 pm. It was a really hot day and both of us went for a shower immediately. When I came back to the campsite I heard the water splashing in the Savuti channel in front of our camping place. There were people on the banks taking photos. I immediately grabbed my camera and went to look at it. It was a herd of ellies, both small and big, on the other side of the channel drinking water. What a surreal experience. Living close to nature, what more can one ask for?
I feels like my relationship with the Lady is getting bad day by day. Feeling like we are moving more apart than coming closer and I didn’t know what is going wrong. I think I have reached the boundaries of her comfort zone and she is not willing to let me come closer. We talk less and less now a days and sometimes I get vague replies to my queries.

When I first met her at the deserts of Namibia she was cheerful and funny person. Now I know that it is just a façade and there is more to her. And clearly she is not ready to reveal that, at least not to me. I wanted to know more about her, she is my dear friend. And that is where I am now, at the borders, and confused. I know me, and for the kind of person I am that means this friendship will come to a slow death if this is where she want s me to be. I have to admit that I was never good at making friends. In my whole life I have 2-3 close friends, who are like my family, and also know me well. The rest of the so-called “friends” are those whom I think won’t miss me I disappear from their life tomorrow. For them I am like “nice to have, but not necessarily important”. I know part of the blame lies on me too.

Right now that’s what I think about my friendship with the Lady. I wonder whether I am just a “nice to have” friend for the Lady? Wish it is not like that. Then, I was a loner before, now and probably the same in the future. I should better get used to it I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment