Friday 23 August 2013

Day 14: Leh


Namgyal Peak
Am left to Nubra valley today morning. She is staying there for 3 days. After breakfast I packed the handicrafts that I bought yesterday in a cardboard box that I got from the homestay family. I took it to the post office in the town to send it as parcel to my home. As with typical government offices in India, one needs a lot of patience if he wants to get something done here. It took almost 1.5 hrs for me have the lady in the counter look at my need. She said I have to open the box as she needs to recheck what is inside. So I cut open the neatly packed box and showed her the contents. She said I can’t send it as the article contains metals!!! I didn’t understand what she meant so I asked again what the problem is. She said since it is send by flight it is not allowed to send any articles with metal!!! I was surprised! It can’t be true that I can’t send any metal item by parcel from Leh. I came out of the office and asked the police man on street patrol whether there is any other possibility. He asked me to check the head post office about 2 kms further ahead. He also mentioned that may be I could ask the post office here whether its possible to send it from the head post office. So I went back and asked the lady in the counter the same. She said she doesn’t know!!!! That’s what one calls an “efficient and well informed government office”. Hopeless! I think I should tell myself “Welcome to India”. I think this is just a teaser for what to come in the coming days, months and years. Will I survive? I don’t know, but I have to, somehow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment